Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:47:31 EDT
Karen says,

> The infants in question, were displaying early cues and were clearly =
> stating that they were awaiting relief from a state of discomfort, be it =
> hunger, thirst, loneliness, fear or whatever. However, when they were =
> brought close to the breast they did not open their mouths in a manner =
> that would enable them to latch onto the breast nor did they demonstrate =
> the suckling behaviors that would enable them to gain adequate relieving =
> substances (i.e. breastmilk) from their mother's breasts. I had stated =
> in my first letter, they appeared to wait for the milk to pour into =
> their mouth. Their apparent desire and readiness to nurse was further =
> verified by the amount of frustration that they displayed when they did =
> not receive the relief that they had expected. This was indicated by =
> increased muscle tension and crying.=20

But is this a result of the cup feeding, or was the cup feeding a result of
these babies' inability to breastfeed -- perhaps demonstrating these very
behaviors -- in the first place?  What was the original reason for cup
feeding?  If these babies could breastfeed to begin with, then there is no
reason for cup feeding.  I would posit that these babies were having problems
with breastfeeding to begin with which is why they were being cup fed.
Until it is known what the problem was in the first place, how do you know
that cup feeding is causing it?

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com