Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 22:04:34 EDT
Nikki notes,

<< That kept the energy up.....except at 4 AM. That
 was the big, big slump time. If one could keep moving, the energy would pick
 up again around dawn. If one made the mistake of sitting down "for a minute"
 at 4 AM, one often did not get up to dance again.
     I think 4 AM is a big shift in hormonal and electrolyte flow also. Which
 comes first? I like to think the sun came before cortisol and potassium.
     Warmly, >>

When I worked midnights (from the time I was in nursing school on), I found
that 4 am was my waterloo.  Perky (well, not sure PERKY is a good word here)
until about then, and at that point, I'd get truly nauseated and miserable.
It's as though everything physically would cave in at that point.  How I
HATED working midnights, and particularly as 4:00 would roll around.

You know the saying, "It's always darkest before the dawn?"  I've always felt
that 4 am is the hardest time to cope when you have a problem -- it seems as
though the magnitude of the problem is greater then; and it is hardest for
parents to deal with in terms of breastfeeding problems.  I often tell moms
they aren't allowed to make a decision to quit breastfeeding when it is dark
outside (that means in Alaska in winter, they'd always breastfeed -- <VBG> )
simply because I don't think we are able to make really rational decisions at
4:00 am.

Interesting to think about -- what our natural body rhythms are, and how that
affects us so much.

Jan