From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:11:37 +0200
Pam Hendrix of S. Florida writes:
"For those of you who see moms in cultures
where C-sections are routine how do you do it day after day?!"

You focus on what you *can* do!  Some days that seems like very little with
so many procedures and people sabotaging breastfeeding.  But mostly there is
at least one mother and baby you know you have been able to help
effectively.  Or a staff member that asks a question that leads to a
valuable discussion.
Some days or weeks are really memorable - like the time when the milk fridge
was full of EBM for the premies and NO formula in sight!  (We do not have a
NICU - only a highcare unit.)

Sometimes I physically remove myself from a situation - like when someone is
extolling the virtues of pacifiers.  I have decided to prioritise and choose
my battles (pacifiers are not at the top of the list yet.)  If I was to
tackle that one, then nobody would be prepared  to listen to anything else I
have to say.

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
South Africa (boasting the highest caesarean rate in the world!)

---