From:
Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:42:42 -0600
On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 11:36 AM, Automatic digest processor
wrote:

> I would love to know how someone determined that these babies are not in
> pain?. . .A baby who's quickly addressed when they show a need, doesn't
> scream like
> they're loosing a limb over trivial things.

My first suggestion is always to wear the baby all the time, and give up
dairy.   If a mom is holding the baby for the vast majority of the day,
any thing that is sensory-related will probably be taken care of.
Cosleeping helps too.  Giving up dairy is just a smart thing, imo, for
anyone who can get calcium etc from a balaanced diet, and it really is
often the cause of colic.  If those two don't work and I'm talking to a
conscientious mom, I don't hesitate to suggest a caveman diet.  In my
personal experience, I was eating so much food brought to me, that I was
relaizing how much dairy and processed junk I was getting.  Like Rachel
said, an allergy diet can be very healthy, because it often means giving
up processed foods and being so much more aware of what is consumed.

If a baby cries often in pain (and I am convinced it is *real* pain),
and mom has not disengaged, she is often desperate for a solution and is
not overwhelmed at all by a caveman diet, particularly phrased as
Katherine does it--cook up a bunch and have it ready--because it is an
easy way to eat without cooking often.

Lynn
mom to a boy with celiac and multiple food allergies
contact person for our local bf support group