From:
Renata Oliveira Mangrum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:09:25 -0500
Wow, I love the discussion on Lactnet. You all are inspiring me in many
ways. Here's my take on it as a novice...

I agree with Gonneke's definition of guilt. People love to deny their
responsibilities and blame others for their own actions. Gonneke pointed out
that OUR part is to give them accurate information and it is their
responsibility to use that information appropriately. I agree with that too.
That being said, we need to make our message as clear as possible and not
confuse people by giving them a guilt trip. It is possible to make one feel
guilty, this happens all the time. I call it manipulation. It should be the
way Gonneke said, but often it is not. When people start being told that
their child will be stupid, insecure, and hyperallergic if they are formula
fed, then we are sending the wrong message, and they, feeling vindicated,
will soon discredit us as a bunch of nitwits when their child "turned out
ok" after all. Although that may have never been said that way, what we say
can reach that "logical" conclusion. Also, guilt as a health promotion tool
has NOT shown to be effective. It often leads to perpetuating the undesired
behavior. Some people will feel guilty no matter how we say things, but we
must remember that others may do something good with their guilt, admit they
made a wrong decision, and become some of our best advocates. We thwart that
opportunity when we *try* to make them feel guilty.

Renata, in NC