From:
Lora M Gleaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 18:10:25 -0500
one thought that I share with moms on this topic is:

You are going to give up or impair breastfeeding for what?  So that dad
or grandma can help by bottlefeeding is the reply.  I then say, okay that
sounds wonderful, then how often do you think dad or grandma is going to
bottlefeed the baby.  The reply will be something like - Once a day,
week, or month, etc.  I then reply by saying that they need to remember
who is going to be doing the other 2,000 - 3,000 feedings this baby is
going to require over the course of the year.  The mom thinks & replies -
me, the mother.  I say, okay, then who is usually going to get up in the
middle of the night to tend to & feed the baby.  The mom usually replies
that it will be her.  Then, I ask is it worth giving up the convenience,
health benefits, etc. of breastfeeding so that dad or grandma can give
one or a few token feedings at THEIR convenience?

This dialogue has really made the mothers think about the whole issue of
"relief" bottlefeeds.

my .02 for tonight, going to watch live ER tonight

Lora Gleaton
LLL Leader