From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 19:10:52 +0200
Is mercury something that is deposited in all tissues, or just in fat?

Cod is not recommended as a food source of Vitamins A and D, as the fish
itself is very lean.  All the fat in codfish is in the liver.  So unless
mercury is deposited throughout all tissues, I don't understand the
recommendation Susan Burger mentioned in her post on Vitamin A and autism.

On the same topic, unless you are making your own cod liver oil by boiling
cod liver and skimming the rendered fish oil off the top of the saucepan, I
doubt whether there is mercury left in the very highly purified products we
have here.  The Norwegian Council on Nutrition (and the Swedish, according
to Ted Greiner) recommend 5 ml of cod liver oil daily for all people living
in these countries, from the age of 6 weeks til the end of life.  I have
heard no warnings about mercury contamination in the product, and as this is
something they encourage everyone to take, if there were a problem, it would
be well publicized.  If it happened between May 22 and May 29, when I was
out of the country, then I am woefully ignorant and may have poisoned myself
inadvertently at breakfast today.  Guess I have to check!

Taking cod liver oil increases the amount of omega-3 fatty acids in
breastmilk so if mothers are hesitant to risk giving babies this ethnic
foodstuff, they can take it themselves and still benefit their nurslings.

bon appetit
Rachel Myr
Norway