From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 21:04:30 -0800
First, please tell this LC that she has my sincerest empathy in dealing with
all the ramifications of a neonatal fatality.  Whenever a baby dies, it
seems that someone wants to place blame on some identifiable entity.   It is
human nature and it is also why many people turn to religion (to explain the
"unexplainable").  I also think s/he is wise to be cautious about identify
while seeking to learn more.

Now, for the specifics...I would have gone along with all of the meds
listed, but I might have questioned the combination.  It is highly unlikely
that these meds INDIVIDUALLY would have negatively impacted a "healthy"
baby, but who knows what undiagnosed conditions lay in waiting or what the
combined effects were, or worse yet, the potential for synergistic effects.
The synergistic sedative effects  of these particular meds might have been
the cause, but then again, maybe not.  Is it possible that the mother was
given more meds than listed or even given the wrong meds, resulting in
unforseeable consequences?  Perhaps.

I think we all need to take pause and consider the following...each of us
responds differently to meds.  We can make generalizations based on clinical
studies, but I always try to use "test" dosing when I give herbs for this
exact reason.  My 6'1" 230lb husband is knocked out flat on his back--dead
to the world for 48 hours--if he is given 10 mg cyclobenzaprene (Flexeril),
yet I, when I weighed half his weight, would not even have noticeable
fatigue.  I tell every patient that ANYONE can have a reaction to ANYTHING,
so it is best to test the proverbial waters gingerly and then dive in.
More often than not, this is made much more difficult in babies and when the
baby's most natural advocate (a breastfeeding mother) is incapacitated, the
job is made all the more difficult.

Please know that there are many of us here for you.  If you'd like to "talk"
confidentially, I am available and have been in situations like this
(fortunately few in 12 years), although never accused of "causing" injury (I
don't know if you are being put in this situation).
 Warmly,
--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
€€€INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: LACTATION CONSULTING & PERINATAL CARE€€€