From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 15:45:38 -0600
We have a litter of beagles about once a year, so two cents from a "canine
midwife" here... I agree with Chanita about giving the right milk/milk
substitute to the proper species.  Case in point...  Had a beagle puppy who
wouldn't latch nor was she maintaining her temperature well.  Found one of
her brother's dead and she was barely alive when I came home on a Thursday
afternoon.  Ended up finger feeding her with Esbilac (puppy formula) over a
weekend, all the while trying to get her back to her mother's breast.  To
make a long story short, she died on a Monday, much to my dismay as I had
tried so hard to help her survive.  I would have never thought to give her
infant formula.  I tried to figure out how to get breast milk from mom-any
bright ideas out there (didn't have much luck with hand expression)?
Oddest lactation consult I've ever had...

We had 5 inches of snow last night with more on the way!!!

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources
Manhattan, KS  USA