From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2008 08:26:36 +0100
>Sarah Palin, Sen. John McCain's VP pick as
of noon today, is ALSO a bf mom.  When I read that she went back to work as
governor of Alaska three days after delivery<

Wow, thanks for telling me this.  It is a powerful example for one of the
standard reasons I give people (taxi drivers, check out clerks) who still
ask me, more than 25 years after I left, 'why did you leave the States?'.  I
tell them how poor the strandard of living is, and one of my standard points
is that women have to return to work so soon after having a baby -- people
recoil when they hear this.  Learning that even in a prestigious, well-paid
job, such as State Govenor, a woman feels compelled to return after THREE
DAYS, should make my British and European questioners, who have the notion
that the US is a nice & decent place so that they cannot understand someone
wanting to leave, get it.

Never mind breastfeeding, the US should try to get some minimal respect for
the human rights of babies and women.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK
US citizen and resigned to being continually made to account for myself as
an American abroad