From:
Pat Torngren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 18:09:41 +0200
Thanks everyone who has responded to my query.  I finally managed to
get hold of my IBCLC friend Jean (thanks Jean)!

She explained to me that while what I was taught was what was being
taught when I qualified (a very, very long time ago) much has changed
since then.

When I qualified, breast pumps were unheard of except in hospitals,
and so breastfeeding moms seldom bottle-fed except when comping
with formula.

She said later the 6 weeks recommendation was set as it is the earliest
time that we can hope that nipple confusion won't occur.  She said it
was done because today's moms are wanting to come home from the
hospital and start pumping from week one, so that dads can give the
bottles at night, etc.  She said that to prevent that, they are
recommending delaying manual or pump expression till 6 weeks.

Her comment was, "Ideally in the first 6 to 8 weeks, while the milk
supply is being well established, all sucking should take place at the
breast.  If you are planning to express to give the occasional bottle,
waiting till the milk supply is well established is a good idea".  She said
she has found if she can keep the baby on the breast alone for those 6
to 8 weeks, most moms lose the urge to express so that the dad can
give feeds, so it often isn't a problem.  Thanks Jean!

I haven't managed to make contact with the IBCLC who is checking this
girl, but her qualifications are impecable.  She is a mother, an IBCLC, a
LLLL and a medical doctor.  My concern was that this girl might not be
asking for or accepting her advice (based on the 6 weeks issue) but
Jean assures me that it is now standard advice.  So I am somewhat
reasurred.

The connections to the site of the local parenting "guru" (who has no
formal breastfeeding qualifications) is of concern, as she sometimes
puts out strange advice, but I doubt if the writer ran this past her
advisor. Anyway, I have pointed it out to her.  It's all I can do...

Thank you so much everyone who responded.

Warm wishes,
Pat