From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 00:14:40 -0400
Hi All,
Concerning these "practice hours", what constitutes a practice hour?  Is this
only the hands on, direct consulting, or is phone counseling (as in a WIC BF
counselor) counted as well?

I, too, have been reading with interest this discussion.  I am not sure which
path I fall into for the IBCLE exam, and at this point don't really care.  I
know that someday I will get my IBCLC, but for now it is my time to learn,
learn, learn.  I know that I know a lot more than a lot of folks who have
only been involved in this field for 1 yr., but I know that I have a LOT more
to learn.  I am not threatened by the amount of practice hours or the
requirements needed to get the IBCLC.  All professions have to have their
requirements, that is what makes them professional.  If there were no
"minimum" req.'s to take the test, it would make the IBCLE exam look silly
and a waste of time. (IMHO)
I don't think that anyone on Lactnet has attacked anyone else's viewpoint,
and I haven't "heard" any flaming type of remarks on the board here.  I have
"heard" emphatic beliefs and ideas from both sides, however.  And there
really is a difference between an attack aand an emphatic opinion.  (Of
course I was nomail for a week so might have missed something!)  Anyway,
let's remember that we all have our own opinions and sometimes they come
across "loudly", if you know what I mean.  :)  Goodness knows I've stuck my
foot in my mouth a few times, and shoved really hard too!
You all here on this list are great, and there is a place for all opinions
and ideas.  That is what we are here for!
Take care all!
Had to throw in my $.02.
Jay