From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 13:55:02 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< They found some protein in his urine, and then a whole
 bunch of investigations began, which ended with a kidney biopsy >>

Proteinuria (protein in the urine) is found in 1-9% of cases on routine
screening.
Proteinuria can indicate many things from benign orthostatic (postural), to
transient, and to things like infection, lupus, ulcerative colitis, diabetes,
sarcoidosis, heavy metal poisoning, Fanconi's syndrome, Wilson's disease,
polycystic kidney disease, multiple myeloma..........ad nauseum.
Perhaps another movie can be made with George C. Scott like Hospital 2 whereas
the man presents for a routine insurance physical and they find some protein
in his urine and the resident physician ignores it and blows it off as
nothing.  The patient goes home happy that his physical exam was okay and
normal - I am healthy!  He gets his insurance policy.  About 6 months later,
this man is readmitted to the hospital with a hypertensive crisis, strokes out
and is comatose.......he is found to have medullary cystic renal disease.
Everyone wonders how this could have happened.  Afterall, he just had a
thorough physical and they said he was fine and healthy!  Excuse me, I need to
call my lawyer..........
IMHO
Andrew MD