From:
Patricia Awood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 18:28:40 -0500
I would like to survey all Lactation Consultants working in hospitals where there are pediatric units. When you have a breastfeeding baby admitted to the hospital are the moms who are staying with the baby provided a meal tray?

I work in a 200 bed pediatric hospital, and for the past 2 ½ years we have been getting meal trays for new moms with babies who are admitted if the mom is staying with the baby. Now  the administrators have decided it is costing the hospital too much money and want to discontinue the practice.

I would like to hear from as many LCs around the country as possible to support my position that these mothers need our support, and should not be expected to have to leave her baby and make the long trek to the cafeteria for her meals. It is a good 5 to 10 minute walk, and a mom with a fresh c-section or a sore bottom finds it too much of a challenge so she doesn't eat.

Please respond privately and to the list as I have to go no-mail again, I just can't keep up with all the mail and hold down a job too! There is such a wealth of information on Lactnet,  I spend my days off reading the archives whenever possible, but I need an answer ASAP as I am already hearing about hungry moms.

Thanks in advance.
Patricia Awood RN, IBCLC