From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2013 06:36:06 +1000
Further to Tricia Shamblin's request for information about additives in
artificial milk manufactured for babies, and my reply on some of the other
additives, here are some references on prebiotics in human milk.

1) Perrin MT, Fogleman A, Allen JC. The nutritive and immunoprotective
quality of human milk beyond 1 year postpartum: are laction-duration-based
donor exclusions justified?  J Hum Lact 2013; 29(3): 341-349. [This article,
a literature review for the information of human milk banks, is a useful
source for other purposes, e.g. table, p. 342.]

References cited by Perrin et al on oligosccharides, in particular, are:

2) Kunz C, et al. Ologosaccarides in human milk: structural, functional, and
metabolic aspects. Annu Rev Nutr 2000; 20:699-722.

3) Zivkovic AM, et al. Human milk glycobiome and its impact on the infant
gastrointestinal microbiota. P Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011; 118 (suppl 1):1-6.

4) Bode L. Human milk oligosaccharides: every baby needs a sugar mama.
Glyobiology 2012; 22(9):1147-1162.

As many of you are aware, the manufacturers advertise their products as
having prebiotics and probiotics, omitting to mention that these products
contain relatively small amount of these, and that the evidence that they
are effective when placed in an artificial concoction is conflicting. Here's
what they don't mention:

- the source of these additives

- that human milk has a large component of prebiotics, all of
species-specific (human) origin, which foster development of probiotics in
the gut

So parents think they should switch from breastfeeding to these products to
get all these components, not realising that they are actually *reducing*
the amount for the baby. The smallest count of oligosaccharides in
breastmilk that I've found in my reading is at least 130, and they are
one-third of the components of human milk. What a huge reduction in these
goodies babies receive when their parents switch to the artificial milks
with additives.

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley

Honorary Research Fellow

School of History, Philosophy, Religion & Classics

The University of Queensland, QLD 4072

Australia

email: [log in to unmask]

website: www.virginiathorly.com