From:
BradshawJA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 21:05:52 EST
Dena Bernhard states:
<<
      We have offered a separate "Working and Breastfeeding" class, but no
      one has signed up for it for months.>>

Dena, Our "Breastfeeding and Working" class is well attended.  I feel this is
because we call all the moms post partum for routine counseling calls, and
remind them about it AND tell them how important it is.  You have to promote
it after they have their babies when they are to the point that they realize
breastfeeding might actually work.  Also I load it with practical information
so the moms leave going "Wow did I learn a lot!"  We do a pretend pumping
session, how to get a woo a reluctant baby to the bottle, all the important
things a sitter needs to know to support the mom, milk storage, working within
the moms work situation, and most importantly the 4 biggest problems moms have
after returning to work:

Fatigue
Low milk supply
Breast infections
Babies refusing to nurse

Also we hold in in the morning and babies are expected to attend with mom.

Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA