From:
Laurie Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2013 10:48:22 -0600
Surely we are all sympathetic to mothers who cannot breastfeed directly and
to mothers who choose to due to hx of abuse, and others. There is always a
danger, when discussing these choices, of offending moms who pump. That
surely is not the intent. We have had dicussions just like this before,
they crop up periodically.
The same discussion can ensue regarding vaginal vs C-section birth. Some
women choose this birth (elective) - my neice did. Some women attempt
vaginal birth first. One can argue that vaginal birth is the physiologic
(preferred?) method if possible. Yet none of us would want to put down a
mother who had a C-section birth. There were some medical discussions sort
of giving advantages of C-section births as relates to later bladder
function, incontinence and the like (if I remember correctly), yet we would
not want to just give moms a choice: vaginal or surgical birth? Would we?
We would counsel the moms who could (should?) be delivering vaginally
against choosing the surgical birth, unless a compelling reason.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA