From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:58:08 -0400
Dear all:

Once upon a time I studied the ups and downs and ins and outs of all those thyroid hormones.  You usually get goiters (swelling of the thyroid) when you are deficient in iodine and hypothyroid, but you can also get goiters when you have too much iodine and become hyperthyroid.  Sometimes the thyroid hormones work the way they should -- one goes up and the other goes down and they stay in regulation.  I could look it up in my big fat gigantic book on the thyroid that I once knew pretty well - but I don't think it is really the right way to think about the thyroid.

Basically, I think chaos theory applies.  When biological systems work well, they wobble within a range.  That allows that biological system to remain in homeostasis.  When you get catastrophic events, it is because things started spiraling out of the normal range of wobble that keep things healthy.

Best, Susan Burger