From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:34:29 +1100
Hi Nathalie,
Glad that you are well and in the  position to do something to help. I'm
seeing if I can find some people to put you into contact with.
I can say without a doubt that calls for donations of milk (and it is any
milk that is an issue, not just formula) will come. This is especially the
case if the message that stress dries up breastmilk is being propagated
(it's only one step from the mothers have no milk to we must give mothers
milk). Being in Santiago, you are in a good position to impact what happens
from that end.  So  for starters, I would suggest you organise your friends
and colleagues to write letters to the editor of the paper about that photo
and give them good messages (I email you some resources privately). I would
also suggest, pre-emptive action with other media outlets. Does LLL have a
presence in Chile? Are there other mother support organisations or an INFAN
groups with which you can co-operate?  USE THE MEDIA. They have the best
opportunity to reach many people. And address the concerns that are
relevant. The belief that milk dries up because of stress is very , very
common.  It's not enough to say that this just doesn't happen. Mothers are
stressed beyond belief- their babies are fussy at the breast as a result-
they and others see this, they draw the conclusion that the milk supply is
compromised. It's really important to acknowledge what mothers and others
are seeing. Yes, the babies are behaving differently, no, it does not mean
that the milk is gone- it is in fact physiologically impossible for
breastmilk to "dry up overnight". Some explanations might help (one possible
mechanism is that oxytocin release is delayed, mother milk supply may also
be down a little because of dehydration or less frequent feeding) but
really, what is needed are solutions and regardless of the cause , the
solution is to encourage the mother to feed frequently and to support her-
give her a safe place to be with her baby, give her food and water,
encourage her to think about how wonderful her baby is.
Just a few thoughts before I tend to my own baby.
Karleen Gribble
Australia