From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2012 14:07:17 -0600
I have actually known, and known of, several women who were around 50 when they adopted and breastfed.  Also, there are many who are younger, but are in surgically induced menopause.  There is often some advantage, because it usually takes some time for younger moms who are menstruating normally to get their ovulations suppressed, and ovulation and menses are associated with a definite drop in milk production.  It always took me three months of solid nursing on demand to stop having periods and, during that time, it was like two steps ahead, and then one step back, as far as building my milk supply.  I assume she is taking domperidone, which can also suppress ovulation.  I agree with Karleen that she should stop taking any estrogen and progesterone. Most moms need to supplement to some extent, and many need to supplement a lot, even with domperidone.  I strongly recommend the Lact-Aid for that, because that provides the baby with the best nurturing and all the milk that the mother's breasts are producing, while stimulating the breasts to produce more milk.  I recommend having the baby suck as much as possible, and not doing much pumping except for before the baby is placed.  I am sure I could think of a lot more to say if I knew more details.  Feel free to give her my email address if you like.  I would be happy to speak to her about it.

Darillyn