From:
Jamie Huddleston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 10:08:44 -0400
Hi All,

I just wanted to share that WIC has a new proposed food package rule that
will affect breastfeeding mothers.  The rule is that if you are a breastfeeding
mother, you can't receive any supplemental formula in the first month.  This is
to help establish breastfeeding and good milk supply.  We don't know how it
will work out, since it could go 2 ways...  1- Mom's will completely stop
nursing and switch to full formula or 2- Mom's will continue to nurse through
those difficult first weeks and go on to have a successful breastfeeding
experience.  Obviously we are hoping option 2 is the way it will all work.
Regardless, this does give WIC an important job of supporting breastfeeding in
the early weeks.  Of course, we do support breastfeeding fully anyway, at
least in my WIC program in Maine!

Please keep this in mind when commenting on the WIC reauthorization!

Jamie Huddleston, IBCLC