From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 14:57:54 +1000
Hello all
I am reading this thread with interest.  Now that the thread has degenerated
into a discussion of 'what is the best scale' I thought it time to weigh in
once again.  It seems my experience differs from that of many of you.
Perhaps this is a case of cultural divergence.
As I have said before, it is not common practice to test-weigh babies in
Australia, where I live, except perhaps in NICUs. I do not know of any LC's
who even own a baby-weigh scale.  I have never seen one.  It has been
suggested on this forum that not using a scale makes the vast majority of
our LCs poor or even negligent practitioners.  I, and they would probably
disagree.  Without a scale we might not be able to tell how many mls go in
but we can still know when the baby is getting enough, or not. They find
ways to assess babies without scales and in doing so they show mothers that
breastfeeding is an art not a science and that you don't need to be literate
or numerate to do it.  They give mothers tools to assess their own babies
and so wean them from their reliance on the health professional.
I am concerned when I hear LCs say things like mothers can't argue with the
scale or the scale convinces mother that my assessment is right.  Will that
mother's confidence in her ability to breastfeed (and parent) her baby be
supported by practising in this way?
I am not suggesting that it is always bad practice to weigh - I am asking
that we as a community evaluate our practice in the light of the experiences
of others and consider whether we might make adjustments that would improve
our practice.  Surely we are about more than the number of ccs transferred;
more than just the lactation fix-it shop.  Surely we are part of a movement
that seeks to empower mothers so that they can be confident, competent
mothers.  The WHO says 'Breastfeeding is a confidence trick.'  My friend
says, 'Whether you believe that you can or you believe that you can't,
you're right.'
Nina Berry BA/Bed(Hons) Dip Arts(Phil)
Breastfeeding Counsellor
PhD Candidate - "Ethical Issues in the marketing of 'Toddler Milks'"