From:
"L. Eric Mueller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 08:53:31 -0400
I just did a search of Lactnet archives for use of St John's Wort for
postpartum depression by breastfeeding mothers. Has anyone actually seen
this used or done any research on it's use.

I am trying to find information for a mother of a 5 month old completely
breastfed baby. She went to her obstetrician and he recommended that she
try St. John's Wort. That's pretty amazing since he's one of the original
old school-medical model kind of guys.

So far I've found the following:
Recommended dose: 300 mg tid
Avoid sun exposure during use as it can increase potential for sunburn
Used for mild to moderate depression, not for severe depression
Can take several weeks for effect to be felt
Not much on use by breastfeeding mothers

Has Tom Hale researched this?

Thanks,
Amy Mueller

Amy Mueller, BSN, RN, IBCLC