From:
Mlevittrn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 23:35:00 EDT
This is to the person who asked about a name for female genitalia.  I would
have posted privately, but inadvertantly deleted the post.  The correct name
for the external female genitalia is the vulva - very easy to teach children.
      When my son was around 2, I was telling him that boys have a penis and
girls have a vulva.  He replied:  "I have a penis *and* a Volvo"  (as you
might guess, our car is a Volvo.)
       It says something about our cultural discomfort with the female body
that people have no question about what to call the male organ, but have
confusion about the correct name for the female (you're not alone, many people
do!)  Miriam