From:
Judie LC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:24:33 -0700
> Date:    Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:55:42 -0500
> From:    Linda Hill <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Nipple Sandwich...Love it? Hate it?
>
> I want to comment on the "C" hold
> versus the "U" hold.
> Someone was describing how to correctly sandwhich
> the breast when the baby
> was eating on the right breast.  I am assuming they
> were talking about
> cross-cradle hold, as I would amagine they would
> have stated football.  She
> described that the moms fingers would be "under" the
> breast with her thumb
> on the "top" of the breast.  If the baby is in
> cross-cradle hold, his lips
> are at the 12:00/6:00 position, and mom would be
> incorrectly sandwhiching
> her breast if doing the "C" hold.
>      Think of the hamburger illustration:  when we
> "sandwhich" the
> handburger, are fingers are parallel to our lips.
> So, I instruct moms that
> they need to "sandwhich" their breasts so that their
> fingers are parallel to
> the babies lips.  If the baby is nursing on the
> right breast in CCH, his
> lips are going up and down, and she would need to
> grasp underneath the
> breast, her fingers towards her sternum and her
> thumb on the outer aspect of
> her breast.  That is the "U" hold.
>      Most moms that I see are doing the "C" hold,
> which is truely only
> correct if the baby is coming up underneath the
> breast.  (which I never
> teach, because we dont want the babies chin on his
> chest while eating, and
> it is hard not to do that in this position.)
>
> Linda Hill RN, IBCLC
> Austin,TX

I agree with what Linda said about the "U' hold vs.
the "C" hold. In practice, though, I find that some
mothers have a difficult time grasping how to do the
"U" hold. For these moms, I find the football hold
often works better - they can use the "C" hold of
their breast that they are familiar with and feel
comfortable with, and still compress the breast in a
way that makes it easier for the baby to latch.

Judie Gibel, RN, MSc, IBCLC
Miami Florida

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.