From:
John Woltz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 16:43:21 EDT
I am probably going to step on someone's toes, though, I don't intend to.  I
actually want to consider this a "peace making" mission.

I wasn't able to read my digest post for a week or so, due to time constraints.
When I did, late at night, when I finally got my kids to bed, I came to enjoy.
Instead, I had the same experience you all did, the barage of "back and forth"
that went on.  Ok, it is finally resolved.  But, I must comment, as a new
lactnetter, it left a bit of an after taste in my mouth.  I have had to wonder
if all the rhetoric was symtomatic.  Are the recent  comments all a reflection
of the kind of people on L'net?  Maybe, I have considered, it is just not worth
my time...  I really don't think this is what the originators wanted, is it?

I like diversity in people.  Call me idealistic, but I like to embrace the
differences in others, as a part of who they are!  Yes, without a doubt, I have
my own belief system, and given the right arena, I am vocal about it.  But, I
know that people need to get along.  I wince when someone bashes my belief
system.  I also wonder if I have to always be on the defense of it, too.  Is it
that I am to tolerate everyone else's, but mine is not valid?

I have a suggestion.  If a post is to be made, how about a little self
evaluation.  (I think this has already been suggested, in part.)  Ask, "Does
this pertain to the SUBJECT AT HAND, I.E., BF?  (Sorry - I didn't shout, really,
I just get easily exciteable!:-D)  If so, GREAT! :-) Post it!  If not, then ask,
"Could this post be controversial, or even considered sensitive?  If so,
pleeeeaaase, prefice it with a disclaimer, such as, "I know this is my opinion,
and I also respect yours."  Or, even invite the people responding to e-mail you
personally, to keep L'net less congested.  Perhaps, if you ask the second
question, and if the post is suggestive, controversial, or sensitive, then
consider not sending it.  I would like to think that "professionals" have a code
of conduct....  Don't you think?  I rather liked the comments on <manners>.
Political, religious, (or the other topic she mentioned :-)!), comments have
their place, just probably better suited elsewhere!  Also, could a "professional
and mannerly" code of conduct concerning use of expletives, also be considered?
Just a thought.

I am long winded this time, I fear, but, I have been excited about the info I am
getting on L'net, and wish to share the "on-line" opportunity with others.  It's
hard to recommend something when I know my recommendation is my endorsement.  I
prefer not to endorse the battering.  I guess my plea is this, just use a little
sensitivity here.  Not eggshell type, just the kind that doesn't knowingly open
a can of worms.   Now, just like I would tell my 4 children, let's all play
nice, O.K.?  Say I'm sorry, hug or shake hands, and go on enjoying each others
company!

I'm done, back to lurking...  Just had to get my .02 in.

Rosann in Wichita