Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 18:45:16 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (5 lines)
I always abbrev. breast milk in my notes as br.milk and consistently refer to that other stuff as abm, artificial baby milk.  When I started with WIC a long time ago, the nutritionists all signed their names, _____, Nut.   Well, I didn't much care for that and began a campaign to use nutr. which was soon accepted.    The Lactnet is an excellent vehicle for us to use to standardize some of these terms, and I propose breast milk, or human milk as the term of choice.  Artificial baby milk probably raises the dander of the abm companies, but it's calling a spade a spade...
AND,  about the comment on not telling mothers about the risks of abm.  I find that when this is done prenatally, mothers have not run into this info anywhere else and ask many questions--including where I get my info!  We should not wait til they have introduced their first bottle, and then tell them.  In fact, I think abm should always be presented with an informed consent form, so that they understand the possible consequences.
I am waiting for the law suit brought by parents who were given formula by the hospital as they left with their breastfeeding baby, later give the abm, and baby has MAJOR problem, so they sue.
In blizzarding NH    Michelle Scott, RD, IBCLC   [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2