From:
Janis Wenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:28:45 -0400
To: Ellen Shein <[log in to unmask]>
From: Jan Wenk <[log in to unmask]>
Re:  need advice in Seattle, LA, SF, & NY

Dear Ellen:

Most of the Moms that I work with are able to bf discreetly and comfortably
in public in and around New York City. Museums, bookstores, park benches,
playgrounds, children's stores are usually places where nursing Moms can
feel at ease. As many say, "anywhere except the subway, unless you are a
real pro."

Another place where Moms are always welcome is the Elizabeth Seton
Childbearing Center @ 222 West 14th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues in
downtown Manhattan. There are many breastfeeding support groups and general
mother support groups which meet frequently, but even if anyone is just in
the area, they may come in and nurse in the waiting area, there is even a
private nook especially, though not exclusively, for that purpose.   The
Center actively promotes community service.  Your client can get info at
www.birthcenter.org,  Also, my student, Ayelet, will contact you soon. She
is originally from Israel and since she is still nursing her 23 month old,
she may be a good contact.

I myself nursed my daughter easily in public nine years ago. The best advice
given to me when I was just beginning to go out was that if someone got too
curious, always stare directly into their eyes. They will never break eye
contact to look down at you, they will only look away. It is the most
effective shield going.

Jan Wenk, IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>