From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2006 01:08:30 +0200
Rebecca's case of the mother with multiple abscesses last time around
prompts me to mention a product which I wish I could get here in Norway.  It
is a Swedish product, 'specially processed cereal flakes', SPC-flakes for
short.  It is regular oatmeal that has been subject to a patented steam heat
process, developed for agribusiness as a preventive measure against
gastroenteritis in swine, which it accomplishes by increasing the production
of a particular immunoprotein in the blood, called AF which I don't know
what stands for.  That is the quick, simple explanation of how it works.

It is now marketed in Sweden to patients with ulcerative colitis, Crohn's
disease, or other conditions predisposing them to gastroenteritis, and women
with problems with recurrent mastitis.  It is recommended for use when
traveling..  There is at least one published study on it, with Lars Hanson
as a co-author.  He feels it could be valuable in areas with high rates of
HIV-infection since there is an increased risk of MTCT during mastitis, and
by avoiding mastitis you can reduce the risk to the breastfed child.  But it
is quite frequently used in Sweden for otherwise healthy mothers with
mastitis.  I would dearly love to have a source nearby; as it is I have to
get it sent from Sweden by my wonderful friends there, when I meet someone
who could use it.  I hope those friends are reading Lactnet and see this :-)

Norwegians cross the border to Sweden in droves to buy cheaper candy, and
alcohol, and meats.  I've never heard of anyone making an SPC-flakes run but
I could become the first.  They do help.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway
Wondering when they will have SPC-flakes in the tax free shop on board the
ferry from my town to Gothenburg