From:
Willow Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 11:12:54 -0700
Chanita's note about the mom who wished there was "something in there for the baby" reminded me that in our pediatric practice we give moms all sorts of little things for their babies at the first visit.
When in the past some of us have approached the MA staff, suggesting that we stop bothering, they, too, have been outraged.  It apparently just doesn't seem right to them that we would fail to give a "gift".  After all, I guess, few people would go to visit a friend or relative with a new baby, and not bring some sort of gift.  So maybe this is just another way to feel that we are being "friends" to our clients.
Anyway, my point was going to be simply this: we get huge quantities of free samples from various skin-care product companies, and so are able to "gift" new parents with several different diaper creams and shampoos and soaps.  I am able to feel a bit better about this, as it is a less controversial area, we give a wide variety of brands in one "gift", and it does seem unlikely to undermine any beneficial baby-care practice.  We don't give out powder, because we don't approve of its use. [they do get formula company bags, minus all samples and coupons if they are breastfeeding - that's as far as my influence there stretched, I'm afraid]
These companies are more than willing to supply us with samples, month after month and year after year.  If anyone wants more info, e-mail me privately.
Willow A. Ward, RN, IBCLC in Detroit MI USA