From:
Beverley Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:31:02 +1100
The military nurse may benefit from your email posted on a notice board
with replies.  Routines, routines, routines how the army did pass those on
to us nurses.  Some are good but some infiltrate through our skin so much
that unless we can hang our hat on a routine we feel insecure.  Babies just
haven't heard of routines

ON TV
Breastfeeding in a positive scene  even if  a 3 hourly regime.

I saw part of an Australian TV serial called GP or something to do with a
medical program this week showing a young woman worrying about her crying
baby.    The female doctor mentioned her breastfeeding and I held my
breath.  Her advice was that the baby was feeding every 3 hours and that
was normal.  She then probed further and found that the father was drinking
at the pub and doing all those scary new dad things.

The dad was refusing to help with housework and sought comfort elsewhere.
The story became murkier and murkier so I didn't watch the end but the
mother continued to be fairly strong and breastfed even if it was 3 hourly.

EX STUDENT FROM RMIT UNIVERSITY COURSE
A course which includes Distance Education Package, On Campus Lectures and
Clinical experience with IBCLC midwives.

A student from a Course I ran in August rang me today to say that her
clinical experience was progressing well.  She was privileged to work with
a home birth midwife (Jan Ireland) who she said is excellent.  The home
birth midwife is an IBCLC and suggested that the student sit the exam next
year as her knowledge was excellent.

This particular student is married to a doctor and also a psychiatrically
trained midwife.  She works in a very exclusive suburb in a very exclusive
hospital which was not all that up with breastfeeding but is providing the
cash for students to undertake learning about breastfeeding.  This student
has charisma plus which I believe helps when passing messages on.  (I am
the challenging type and my charisma is sometimes (on a scale of l0) about
5).

She tells me she has been invited to give inservice lectures and she has
persuaded staff to "sit on their hands" and talk women through
breastfeeding.
She was very excited about the outcomes of her course and sounds like a new
recruit to the world of breastfeeding promotion.