From:
"Larry R. Vance" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 09:59:53 -0800
A mother I'm working with was told she MUST wean to have a biopsy on a
suspicious breast lump identified during pregnancy.  She actually has 2-3
lumps they wanted to check out, but only 1 was considered suspicious.  Her
doctor refused to do anything if she refused to wean (her baby was 3 weeks
old at the time).  I encouraged her to seek a second opionion with another
medical center of the HMO.  She hesitently did.  They chose to do an
ultrasound and discovered several CYSTS--benign!!!  Her baby is now 7 weeks
old and nursing beautifully.  A case where breastfeeding was ALMOST
sacrificed on the altar of ignorance.

The second doctor told her the ultrasound is able to pick up lumps the
mammogram may miss, and is especially helpful in lactating women.  If this
is true, why is ultrasound not used more when breast lumps are identified in
lactating women?