From:
Denise Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 10:04:15 -0400
While the breastfeeding doesn't cause the miscarriage there are situations
that can arise that may influence the viability of the pregnancy.  Weaning as
soon as you know you are pregnant would most likely not influence your
ability to carry the baby.

I did a lot of research on this a few years ago.  I hope some of our doctors
can explain it better than I can.

When you are breastfeeding you can have periods that appear normal.
 Ovulation may or may not occur.   Or ovulation may occur but the egg is
released a bit early or late.  Conception can occur but often the pregancy is
not viable.  The result is early miscarriage.

I too had a miscarriage while breastfeeding.  While the products of
conception were present there was no baby.  A blighted ovum is the term used.

Breastfeeding didn't cause the miscarriage.  It was not a viable pregnancy
from the start.  This can happen when we are not breastfeeding too.

Too many women breastfeed during pregnancy to make the blanket statement that
breastfeeding causes miscarriage.  If it does then there are other factors
that are influencing it.

Denise Parker, BA, IBCLC