From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:53:24 -0400
Greetings wise ladies, We have had a large batch of APNO mixed by our
pharmacy that we are distributing through our clinic (much more
convenient for moms to just get it while they're here, and we can sell
them a smaller amount - for less than compounding a whole batch for
each mom). However, in dealing with OCEA regulations, every medication
needs to have an expiration date - which the pharmacy is unable to
provide us with. They have expy dates for each of the components, but
are not able to certify that by blending them we don't cause an
interaction that speed the degradation of any of the ingredients. so -
has anyone been able to find a way around this to be able to determine
the shelf life/stability of APNO? The blend we are using is
betamethasone 0.1%, mupirocin powder so final concentration is 2%, and
miconazole (don't have final concentration right here). this particular
batch is compounded in a cream, not ointment, base, though in the
future we will be using an ointment per Newman's recommendation.

If we can't provide this, they will randomly impose a 30 day shelf life
and make us toss what's not turned over in this time.

Thanks loads!
Kirsten Berggren