From:
Mary Jozwiak IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 13:11:37 -0400
On Mon, 27 May 2002 13:25:23 EDT, Gonneke van Veldhuizen <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>In einer eMail vom 27-5-02 18:09:31 West-Europa (zomertijd) schreibt
>

>In my experience own breastfeedingexperience canmake a physician either the
>best or the worst. Just depending on how this personal experience was -
>possitive or negative.
>
>Warmly greeting,
>
>Gonneke
>==================
>Gonneke van Veldhuizen  =+=  IBCLC, LLLL, MOM  =+=  primairy school teacher

I agree with Gonneke, the peds whom I work with seem to either promote
breastfeeding or give it little thought or support, or are subtley hostile
towards it, depending on whether they or their wives breastfed or not. Our
personal ped breastfed all of her children into toddlerhood and I feel
fortunate to have a doctor for my children who strongly encouraged me to
nurse. (Although at our last visit she did say, "Do you think she is just
nursing for emotional reasons now?" Hannah is two and a half sigh....I
mentioned the presence of antibodies and nutrients even at "this age" and
hoped she was listening.)

The ped we had when our second child was a toddler (for a VERY short time,
chosen only due to insurance problems) said to me, when Becca was about one
year old, "It's OK if you keep nursing her, but she needs cow's milk for
the calcium." (well thank you for giving me permission to continue nursing
my own child.) When I mentioned that my milk was providing her with calcium
he said, "No, not anymore, you've nursed too long. You have Old Milk." Like
it was sitting in my breast for the last 16 months and the calcium was used
up or something.

I sent him Physician Seminar information for years as well as donated a BAB
and mulitple LLL catalogues to his office. I don't know it any were
utilized. From reports from my clients and LLL members none of it was. One
of my clients told me he told her his wife "didn't have any milk."

Mary Jozwiak IBCLC, LLLL, AAPL,
Private Practice