From:
Henya KnitMammy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2010 22:31:08 -0400
Permission to post.
Just had a lesson in how important it is to keep asking the same question
over and over using different words. My cleaning lady called me. Her
grandson is 10 days old. Here I have to explain two things. we know each
other for 10 years. She is a true friend and we have helped each other many
times in the past. Her English is not perfect. But it is good. Unfortunately
DH, who speaks Spanish is away and could not have been brought in. So back
to the subject at hand. The baby's Mom, is 16, a very smart kid, who had a
horrible pregnancy. She is kind of fell apart at this point. Same thing with
Dad, who is 17. The baby is being nursed, and thankfully this is one of the
things that went right from the beginning. But nether family (Mom's or
Dad's) had a baby in a long time. The recommendations have changed. It is
different from Mexico. I will have to spend more time on educating thing
because the Grandma can not really read.
So the question of the night was a suspected diarrhea. 4 dirty diapers in
two hours. Of course the doctor's office is closed. Right away I wanted to
know what is the baby eating. She told me "only breast". Thank G-d I kept
asking. In different ways. "Pasifier?" No. After 15 minutes spend in this
way like "milk from mama or bottle"  she told me that the baby is
absolutely, positively not having anything but his mother's milk. So I
reassured her saying it is unlikely that there is diarrhea, but if the baby
makes again before next feeding, do call a doctor. After all the baby is
very young, I did not see him e.t.c.
As we are saying our good byes she reiterated again that the baby is having
nothing besides breast milk and a little water. Wait! Water! You did not say
water before! Yes, it is hot, so they have been giving about 3 oz of water
every couple of hours. Darn. I told her to call the doctor, tell him about
water. Now. And stop giving it. Now. Can not explain to her really why, her
English is simply not up to it. Now I am worried. The Mom is just a
high-school kid. She is more worried about her GED and loosing a year than
about the baby. She is unwilling to call me - she is embarrassed. Why did
they miss this situation at the hospital? They need a support network. The
only place they found turned them down because the girl is married to the
baby's father and they only help unwed mothers. Nuts!
Any resources in Bronx, N.Y.?
But again I asked her so many times any bottles, anything. Nothing until
this bit about water at the end. I will see Grandma tomorrow morning. Guess
I will know what is happening than.
--
Henya
Brooklyn, NY

Want to know me better - visit my blog  http://chickenstitches.blogspot.com/
For unique patterns and stitch markers - visit my shop chickenstitches.com
Visit my ArtFire studio - http://www.artfire.com/users/ChickenStitches
Visit my Etsy shop - chickenstitches.etsy.com
Find me on Ravelry as knitmammy http://www.ravelry.com/people/knitmammy