From:
Kerry Ose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:36:06 -0400
Melissa, at the end of her excellent analysis of the study in question, writes that she
believes that breastfeeding provides some protection against obesity.  And then Jennifer
points out that even long term breastfeeding can’t possibly mitigate against the obesity
caused by the Standard American Diet and the sedentary lifestyle that goes with it.

I wonder if a better way to think about breastfeeding as it relates to obesity is to think of
it the way we think about fruit, vegetables, and other whole foods.  It’s not that eating
these foods magically protects us from getting fat, but rather that these foods are A)
extremely good for us and B) Not implicated in the obesity epedemic.

To Weissengerize, I would say this: breastfeeding is not magical.  It is a normal part of
the human diet -- one that supports normal growth and optimal health.  It’s a bit sad that
we have to prove to the world that breastfeeding confers special protections against the
consequences of our bad habits, and then, when a study comes along and suggests that it
doesn’t have this special attribute, we find ourselves inundated with news stories
suggesting that maybe breastfeeding isn’t such a big deal after all and maybe artificial
feeding is just as good.

One might ask why we haven’t see a slew of studies asking whether or not artificial
feeding causes obesity.

Poor design notwithstanding, the current study, along with other discussions about
breastfeeding and obesity, are very telling about the American view of diet and nutrition.
By asking if breastfeeding protects against obesity, we are asking if it is the magic pill
we’ve been looking for that will solve the obesity problem for us.

As Jennifer points out, as long as we feed our children, and ourselves, a steady diet of
junk food, nothing is going to solve this problem.

As Michael Pollan wrote in the New York Times Magazine article I slavishly praised a
couple of months ago, food producers in the US pretty much won’t allow the government
to tell people to eat less.  So the government tells us what we should eat a lot of, but not
what we should avoid entirely.  For example, they can say, “Eat a diet high in fiber and
low in saturated fat,”  but they can’t say, “Eat less dairy and red meat”  or “Preservatives
are bad for you, so avoid foods with a long shelf life.”   Pollan then cites studies that
show that whether or not we are actually eating more of the good stuff, we are certainly
not eating less of the bad stuff.

The extent to which breastfed babies eat normal food (breastmilk, whole foods) and
abstain from junk food (formula, candy, fast food, processed snack foods), is the extent
to which we will see breastfed children avoiding obesity.  Nothing, not even
breastfeeding, protects us from sitting on our bums all day partaking of the Standard
American Diet.

Kerry Ose