From:
Karyn-grace Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2010 12:39:00 -0800
Hello, all.  I do not have an scientific data or resources to share, but wanted to let you know that last year I had a client with a history of severe eczema on her nipples.  She did have it on other areas on her body as well, but mostly it would affect her nipples.  She was very concerned about how breastfeeding might worsen her condition.

She and I spent a lot of time looking at her dietary and lifestyle triggers - she was aware even before working with me that dairy products were of concern to her and consuming 'too much' of them would trigger the eczema - so that she could avoid an outbreak.

However, during her entire breastfeeding experience (14 months) she never once had an outbreak, even though she did not avoid her trigger foods or stressful situations!  It seemed that breastfeeding kept the eczema at bay, and even once the baby began solid foods, it did not return.  I have not had contact with her since weaning, so I do not know if she is once again having outbreaks.

So, perhaps you can let your client know that in some cases, breastfeeding actually arrests nipple eczema.  Can't say that such will happen with your client, but it might give her some peace of mind.

Karyn-grace Clarke, IBCLC
Happy Tribe Consulting
Nanaimo, BC, Canada