From:
"Coleman, Joyce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:32:10 -0500
Hello, I'm hoping that you'll be able to help me provide some constructive
written feedback on a bottle feeding handout that we have available for our
patients.  This is part of an online patient teaching program, and I'm
afraid that I'm too shocked to be objective.

Here it goes:

"What are the benefits of bottle feeding?

Bottle feeding makes it easy for you to know how much milk your baby is
getting. You will be able to easily see how much milk your baby is drinking
by looking at the bottle markings.

Other people can feed your baby, such as the father, friends, grandparents,
or daycare provider. Some people feel that bottle feeding gives you more
freedom and does not tie you down.

Older brothers and sisters can get to know the "new baby" by feeding him.

Bottle feeding helps you get more rest because others can help with
nighttime feedings.

Unlike a breastfeeding mother, you can use whatever kind of birth control
you choose.

You do not have to carefully watch your diet. Six weeks after delivery you
can start to diet and exercise to lose weight.

You can bottle feed your baby anywhere. You do not have to worry about
wearing the right piece of clothing to make it easier to feed your baby.
You may wear whatever clothes you choose because you do not have to worry
about getting your baby to the breast.

It may be more enjoyable having sex if you bottle feed. This is because you
will not have sore nipples or leaky breasts. Hormone changes in the
breastfeeding mother may cause the vagina to be dry and cause painful sex.

. . . Cow's milk formula also has the right amounts of vitamins and
minerals that babies need."

Eagerly anticipating your suggestions,

Joyce Coleman, RN, IBCLC, LCCE