Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 06:54:36 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
I have had computer problems, an old system that couldn't keep up with internet, and have missed Lactnet.  But just finally got my new system running and found myself interested in the comments about Herman, the genetically modified bull.  While we may think that gm(genetically modified) baby formula will only be used for those few situations as Kathy points out, hiv-positive babies or babies of mothers who are undergoing chemo: I think we might want to rethink the possiblities.

This company has established partnerships with formula companies(European and American). Since very few women exclusively breastfeed, I would suggest that if this stuff gets on the market(which may quietly happen), many babies will be drinking gm baby milk.  We have already been eating gm foods--corn,soy products--without knowing it.  Should we be concerned?  I would be concerned especially since the American partner is the company that brought us the rotavirus vaccine.

As for hiv-positive babies being part of this experiment, I would suggest to this list that the studies are not conclusive about the benefits of feeding these infants formula rather than breast milk.  Most of these studies that show high risks of hiv transmission through breast milk are flawed.  Many of these studies are funded by the same organizations, which have ties to the pharmeceutical industry.  I find myself concerned that many people are accepting studies so quickly without closer scrutiny.    Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2