From:
natalie hessell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 06:54:20 -0700
Jane was asking "In next room, mom says, " I want to breastfeed but I want the WIC
formula so I'm telling them I'm bottle-feeding so I can have the
formula just in case."  "No, I don't care about the breastfeeding food
package.  I get food stamps and I don't eat that much anyway."  But she
was angry because the nurse had given a bottle before bringing the baby
out after pediatrician rounds.  What's wrong with this picture?  How
are we ever going to help mothers decide to breastfeed when they see it
as economically advantageous to formula-feed?

Perhaps this mother is doing so due to the recent package changes at WIC.  I believe (and someone correct me if I am wrong), that now a new mother must be either bf or ff, there is no in between in the 1st month.  Since she cannot be partially bf, if she wants formula "just in case" (or to really use part of the time)  then for WIC purposes she would have to declare herself "not breastfeeding".  Previously a mother could be considered breastfeeding and get a partial formula package.  I know many had mixed feeling as to whether this would be a help to breastfeeding or would cause some women to say they weren't bf in order to get some formula.

Natalie Hessell
LLLL, and former WIC BFPC

*