Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:34:30 EST
In a message dated 3/16/2005 7:19:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
I have been asked to review a case for legal purposes.  Have any of you ever
gotten paid for reviewing a case as an IBCLC and if so what did you charge?
I have been a paid expert witness several times. I have been seated as an
expert witness in 3 different counties, have testified 6 times in court, 2 times
in mediation, and consulted with the family and attorney but did not testify
in 2 other cases. I was presented once as an expert witness, but the judge did
not accept me, preferring to accept the pediatrician instead as the lactation
expert.  I charged my consultation fee times the number of hours.  Usually it
was about 3-4 hours of preparation time, and 4-8 hours in court. The attorney
can also give you an estimate of what the normal experts charge in your
community.  They pay other experts like child psychologists, etc and the attorney
said my fees were in line with those.  Of course MDs get paid more. About
$400/hour.
Barb Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
Eastern NC