From:
Carmen Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:33:44 -0400
Hi Angie,

You'd love reading Michel Odent's book "The Scientification of Love," in
particular, ch.15 "Releasing The Breaks With Water." He explores the
effect of watery environment on the physiology of labor, birth,
lactation and sexuality. Throughout the book he discusses the impact of
the neo-cortex on the pituitary and hypothalamus and the release of
oxytocin.  When the neo-cortex inhibits the release of oxytocin (when
high levels of adrenalin are released), entering a watery environment
somehow brings us back into a state that allows oxytocin to flow (or
rather pulsate) in both baby and mom.  Then it is easy to understand why
nursing in the tub has the impact you describe on baby's ability to
breastfeed.

He wonders whether ".the mysterious effect of water on our human
neocortical brakes... is an aspect of our mammalian condition, or is our
relationship with water a specifically human trait?  After all, all
mammals, including the primates, spend their foetal life in water."
Pages 83-84.

Personally, when I would get in the tub to nurse my babies, I felt more
real, more human, more instinctive and more powerful.  There is
something quite primal about it. It felt right.

Another fascinating book is "The Oxytocin Factor" by Kerstin Uvnas
Moberg for more info on the physiology and roles of oxytocin.

All the best,

Carmen Clark, LLLL, IBCLC

Subject: Re: debate about s2s

Dear Nikki and all...

Had a mother come back to me in tears today... 7 week old baby, had
been=20=

pumping and bottle-feeding for 4 weeks, and baby would not return to=20
breast.  She wailed, arched, threw her head back when mom attempted
to=20=

place her at the breast.  A week ago a colleague and myself encouraged
co=
-
bathing... mom tried ONCE... ONE TIME and baby is now breastfeeding=20
exclusively.  Mom said the baby just started bobbing around, found
the=20=

nipple and got down to business.  Hmmmm S2S? co-bathing?... What
exactly=20=

IS all of this Mumbo jumbo we practice?  Call it what you like... it=20
works.  She was about to stop pumping and attempting to breastfeed=20
completely, and now she is elated that breastfeeding has returned to
her.=

My best,

Angie Sohler, RN, RLC, IBCLC