From:
"Amy M. Vickers" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:18:48 -0400
I am in a practice with 3 other IBCLC's.  One of the LCs tells mom's to
point the chin toward the affected area when she has a plugged duct and 2
of us say point the nose toward the affected area, the 4th LC says simply
says to vary bf positions.  I am in the process of writing a booklet for us
to give all of our moms and when writing the section about plugged ducts i
am stumped.  We have all had many discussion about this and have all had
different experiences with this.  Everything I put in this booklet i have a
source for- I have found "pointing the chin" in three sources and "pointing
the nose" in three sources as well.  I have always said point the nose
(this is in Answer book and Aurbach/Riordan ; what I consider to be THE
sources). All of this makes me think that the thing you DO NO WANT is the
corners of the mouth pointing to the area.

 Here is something else that I heard or read (or maybe dreamed it) many
years ago and now cannot find in print anywhere so maybe someone can help
me.-It is--  THat the Sinuses empty beginning with the one where the baby's
nose is pointing and procede to empty clockwise---  Is this Myth or truth--
anyone???

Thank you all for help
Amy Vickers, RN,IBCLC