Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:39:02 -0700
I have a client who has contacted me about relactation and here's why:

Twins, baby girl doing fine. Baby boy has had severe colic, crying with
feeds and refusing feeds at times. Pediatrician moved baby boy from
breastmilk to cows milk formula to, later, soy based formula. There was
little improvement (if any) with these changes and, in fact, mom feels
baby boy is worse on soy.

Now here's the real clincher... Mylicon wasn't helping so the
pediatricain recommended Mylanta 1/2 tsp. 4 times a day. Mom gave this
twice and baby did seem to get some relief... but the pharmacist was
very skeptical about the recommendation and suggested to mom that baby
should go back to breastmilk or to a specialty formula.

Has anyone out there given Mylanta to an 11 week old? Aren't there
electrolyte balance concerns?

I told this mom that I was going to put the Mylanta question out on the
lactnet because, in 20 years of pediatric and neonatal nursing here... I
have never seen this. Maybe that's a regional thing but......

Susan Keith-Hergert RN, MS, IBCLC
Holistic Natal Care
Cincinnati