From:
Judy LeVan Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:22:36 -0500
Michele writes:

Baby  does tend to cluster feed 2-3 times a day with longer sleep stretches
 between...would she be likely to do that with oversupply or have more
spread  out feeds?
~~~ Ah if only things were simple: I am now telling moms, sadly there is no
 natural law that says that if a mom/baby has one issue to deal with, they
cannot  also have another one. Often multiple issues flow out of the same
underlying issue as well.  A baby with a tongue function restriction may or
may not have a mom with oversupply. Sometimes it just looks like oversupply
or  forceful letdown, being normal but still hard for baby to negotiate,
other times  there actually could be something else going on. Not written in
stone, but when  a baby cluster feeds a bunch of times in the late
afternoon/evening, I think  "probably normal" but if baby needs to do that multiple
times and it seems to  get even more intense as the day goes on, I wonder about
the fatigue or  agitation that can set in with tongue restrictions: over
time baby may work  harder, and get less and less and at some point they have
to nurse again and  again, and may get so tired/shut down, they take a very
long stretch of sleep (  over 3 hours in the daytime.) Not sure if that
resonates with what you are  seeing, but just a thought... I wonder if high
volume, quickly delivered milk  rushes could also lead a baby to nurse briefly,
then return to the breast again  over and over as well. Baby might have more
sticky, smelly, dark green stools as  well? It might also depend on whether
mom is switching sides each time, and how  close those clusters are?

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA