Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:19:56 +0300
Hi Karleen and all,

I often get new moms in my clinic who have experienced the brutality of
maternity nurses from the various hospitals who still believe that one has
to smash the baby onto the breast. I am not saying that the nurse deserved
to get pushed, but i can see new parents being concerned with the amount of
force sometimes used to "help" a baby latch on.

When abusing the cross cradle hold, which i personally rarely recommend
UNLESS the dyad is having trouble latching the baby on, many moms are quite
horrified at clutching at the back, neck and shoulders of the baby. Those
health care practitioners in hospital sometimes just carry on doing what
they have always been shown from those who preceded them, without a great
knowledge or experience and do not always have the technique down pat, in
order for the baby to be brought to the breast with little pressure or
coercion. No one would like to eat under such conditions, and the same goes
for baby.

These HCP's also more often than not, forget to tell the mom that once the
baby is latched, she should reposition her arms to cradle the baby, and
allow him the freedom of movement whilst keeping him close and supported.
You can hear the sigh of relief from some of the moms, once they are shown
how to use the most natural hold. the Cross cradle is also nearly impossible
for women who have short arms, as they have to contort their bodies to bring
the baby to nipple, without pushing their breast to meet the baby which will
almost certainly end in incorrect positioning thus pain and injury.

So, when I read this, it does not surprise me. Obviously I do not have all
the details except for what I have read, and of course there are all kinds
of personalities and no one deserves a shove nor other brutal shows of
force. but couldn't help wonder ........

Ellen Shein,
Tel AViv