From:
tim oberlander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 21:38:59 -0800
Does anyone know of or have any data on nutritional status of babies fed
only breast milk beyond 6 months?  I am particularly concerned about iron
status, since the traditional teaching is that iron stores start to be
depleted after this period.  I find very little in the published literature
where "exclusively breastfed" often seems to mean no formula but doesn't
exlude solids.  Are there perhaps any anthropological papers on babies not
yet on solids at 9-`12 mos.? On a practical level, does one test for iron
status/supplement with Fer-in-sol/do nothing?? Any thoughts would be
helpful.
Julie Martz, MD