From:
Dawn Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 13:54:20 -0600
Dear Jennifer,
I would consider this on-topic (obviously).  My background is as a LLL
Leader, currently working as a doula and preparing to sit for the IBCLE in
July.

I would believe the role of an LC is to protect and preserve the
breastfeeding relationship, offering whatever suggestions she knows would be
useful.  Some of those suggestions might be for the parents to have the baby
checked by a chiropractor, to put the baby to the breast more often, to see
an ENT to evaluate a tongue-tie, for mom to make use of an SNS, etc......
IF ASKED I would feel very comfortable discussing an unmedicated birth as
the ideal beginning to breastfeeding.  I would interject also that even with
a c-section breastfeeding is desirable and possible.  LOTS of women who have
c-sections or medicated births breastfeed, some for extended periods of
time!  They need to know that increased interventions often correspond with
a more difficult initation of breastfeeding, but nothing that can't be
overcome.

Dawn
in balmy Austin, TX