From:
Barb Garnier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:40:16 -0500
It was always my dream to be able to tandem nurse, since we were planning
on having #2 & #3  close together.  No such luck. Sara went "cold turkey"
on me at 8 months 9 days of age.  One week later I got pregnant with her
sister.  Vanessa nursed for 7 months 15 days and went "cold turkey" on
Christmas eve.  Sara never wanted to nurse again until the day she turned 2
(1 week after Vanessa quit).  She looked at me and said "Isn't that baby
nursing any more?" "No", I told her.  "Is  there still some milk?" "Yes" I
told her.  "Then can I nurse?" I expected a quick taste and then off to
play.  I received a nursing session for three minutes first thing in the
morning and last thing at night each day until the day she turned 3. Such a
precious time!  She's 17 now, and has already volunteered to be labor coach
for a friend whose boyfriend dropped her when he found out she was
pregnant. She encourages pregnant friends to get good prenatal care and
breastfeed.

On the other thread about using partners to jumpstart a flow and soften an
engorged breast, I've been recommending  this approach for the 23 years
I've been working with moms and babies. It ties in really well when
discussing sexuality and breastfeeding before lovemaking!